market-farming - [Market-farming] fungal compost?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: no one <xkarmafarmerx AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] fungal compost?
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 19:00:06 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,
I have a friend farming next to a large horse operation who has lots of horse bedding in windrows in hopes of having a good source of compost for the coming seasons.  However, the horses are bedded on sawdust, and he's having great difficulty getting any heat generated.  He's considering adding blood meal, which is expensive, or conventional poultry litter, which he has concern about the content of non-desirable chemicals in.  My thought is that if you could turn the compost pile fungal, it would break down the sawdust.  Or just give it time and plenty of turning.  I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about dealing with such a material, or how you would veer a pile towards fungal development.
Thanks,
John DiZazzo
Roundabout Farm
Keswick, VA