market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Sales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Sales
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 10:10:53 -0500

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 07:12:58AM -0400, Andrew R. King wrote:
> Since the beginning of august, sales and the number of customers have off
> greatly at the farmer's markets in my area. Do you think the drop off is
> seasonal or because of the economy? Any ideas?

I've been observing that here in central Texas for about 30 years.
June is our big farmers market month, with a moderate decline in July
and a precipitous decline in August and no noticeable recovery in the
Fall. After it freezes in November or December, we wait for it to
start all over again in May. We run out of tomatoes in July; many
customers come to the markets almost solely for tomatoes. Our climate
is just brutally hot in July and August, that helps keep people away
from our markets. We may have more tomatoes in October or so, but that
doesn't invigorate the markets.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 74 days 10 hours 31 minutes