market-farming - [Market-farming] squash vines

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shawnee Flowerfarmer" <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] squash vines
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 18:45:41 -0500

first.....expect miracles, even after a storm like that. This is the hardest business to be in since you can do everything exactly correctly and then have the weather do a bodyslam on you.

 I would leave the squash attached to the vine for a week or so...see if what's left of the vine begins to regrow.  This is a hard blow however....the ulimate sugar content-and hence, the flavor- in the fruit will depend on the photosynthesis process in  the leaves and apparently, there aren't any leaves left?

I once had a an early frost destroy the vines of a crop of perfect Halloweeen pumpkins.  The pumpkins were still green.  Sigh.  I marketed them as "Green Pumpkins!"  Sold them all anyway.  I drilled a zillion holes in one pumpkin, stuffed in a string of white lights, and hey presto!  Everybody loved the look.  I have also sold squash as a soup or salad container.  Cut a decorative lid, clean the cavity.  If the vines don't begin to regrow, think creative marketing.

This year, my pumpkin vines have succumbed to Mr. Squash Vine Borer and Hungry Groundhogs.  Does anyone have suggestions to fight the vine borer?  (Must be historically accurate, so no chemicals.  The garden is pre-1850's)

Shawnee, zone 5, some seasons.