market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Squash maturity

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Glen Eco Farm" <glenecofarm AT planetcomm.net>
  • To: <frshstrt AT baldwin-telecom.net>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Squash maturity
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 20:58:57 -0400

Wow! That must have been some kind of a storm! First immediate question: Are the vines still attached to the roots? If so I would give them a chance to muster up enouch energy to regenerate a few new leaves and still mature the fruit. Has the fruit sized up to maximum size or developed most of it's color? Here in Virginia's zone 6 climate much of the winter squash has gotten up to what I would consider mature size. Mine got planted 3 weeks to a month later than usual and the bigger fruits are not quite mature but if a calamity like yours were to hit I think they would still have a fighting chance. If you cut the vines off you know you will take away that chance.

What part of Wisconsin are you in? I have friends near Oseola. I wonder how they are faring.

Marlin Burkholder
Shenandoah Valley in Virginia