market-farming - [Market-farming] Too wet?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Too wet?
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 11:12:51 -0400

There is hope in PA. Last year it rained and rained and rained. I learned
that you can drop horribly root bound broccoli and cabbage plants in the
mud, step on the root ball, and they grow take right off. Same thing with
potatoes. I had the best weed control ever, because I tilled almost the
whole field when it finally dried up enough in early July, and then planted.
At the end of the season, it turned out to be a decent economic year.

In the fall, we made ridges in case we had a third in a row miserably wet
spring. Figured if it was wet could plant on the ridges and if dry in the
furrows. Have a single bottom plow on a Farmall Cub. Go up one way, same
wheel tracks on the way back. Our plow needs over 100 lbs weight to do it
well (don't ask, just don't put your hand on the wheel fender - the back of
the seat is good for the left hand, right hand has more obvious choices,
keep your knees flexed).

Now the challenge - the furrows are staying too damp to easily weed.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead
Peru NY
http://rhomestead.com