market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] asparagus prices?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] asparagus prices?
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 13:56:09 GMT

We have started all of our asparagus from seed. We start it in 2"
peat pots, and it takes about 10-14 days to come up. We plant it out
when we get the time. I think by putting it in the peat pots we can
hold it much longer, so transplanting at a certain time is not so
critical. We tried some one year in speedlings and the roots, or
crowns tried to grow into the sides of the speedling. That was a
disaster! The peat pots work much, much better. This is how we have
increased our planting to 1/2 acre. It's really important to keep the
patch weed free the first year or two, and we also put the new
transplants on drip irrigation the first year in the field. After
that, we never water our asparagus. Even during the severe drought
we've had the last few years, the asparagus has done fine.
Carla