market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] asparagus prices?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] asparagus prices?
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 21:19:49 GMT

At our market in Stillwater, Oklahoma we get $2.00 per 1/2 pound.
Right now, it is running about .99 at the grocery stores per 1/2
pound. I'd love to get $5.00 for that amount! We have a lot of
vendors with asparagus and we all are charging pretty much the same.
Last year we sold out every week, so we tripled the size of our patch
to about a half acre.
This year we haven't sold out once. I'm a little worried about what
will happen in 3 years when we start picking that expansion planting.
Hopefully our market will continue to grow and we will have a market
for all of it!
Isn't it amazing how much prices differ across the country? I was
reading earlier about the free range eggs and couldn't believe the
price differences. I'm sure it is much less expensive in general to
live in Oklahoma versus California though.
Carla