market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tillage is tillage

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robert Schuler <sunnfarm AT verizon.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tillage is tillage
  • Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 09:33:19 -0600 (CST)

I fall plow all my early sweet corn ground, its the only way to create
conditions where the soil can warm up enough by late March to seed corn.
Tillage dries out the ground so we can plant earlier.

In south Jersey most of my 500+ vegetable farm neighbors practice some form
of intensive vegetable production. Like double and triple cropping, and
almost everything on raised beds. This all takes a lot of tillage also most
small seeded vegetables like carrots and parsley need a fine well tilled seed
bed just to germinate.

Tillage is a cheap form of pest control. cutworms, corn borers, flea beetles,
cucumber beetles, thrips, spider mites, and aphids and diseases like
sclerotina and rhizoctonia just love to over winter in a nice warm mulch...
Bob
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.