market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] hay as a mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kate Halstead" <rockyprairie AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] hay as a mulch
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 08:27:00 -0800

After the wheat and grass hay farmers in our region started using clopyralid
on their fields to suppress broadleaf weeds, I switched to alfalfa. In this
area, Pacific Northwest, it's currently a tad cheaper than grass hay and
IMHO much more effective as a mulch. Side effects seem to be fewer as well.

Good quality alfalfa rarely has any weed seed. It's effectiveness at weed
suppression is amazing. When spread, the leaf tends to shatter off the stems
and form a thin layer that almost seals into a sheet with the next rain.
Left undisturbed it's usually months before you see any weed seed sprouts
coming through.

I had one bed with a creeping quackgrass of some sort running through it.
Had started when I had strawberries in there and continued coming up and
spreading each year until I mulched it heavy (3-5") with alfalfa. Saw 4-5
sprouts come up, gently dug those and replaced the mulch, and by the next
season the problem was gone. Same success with buttercup and dandelion, both
of which can be pernicious in our silt/loam soil. It's almost as if there is
something in the alfalfa that kills perennial weeds as opposed to smothering
them. Slugs don't seem overly fond of it as well. When I find them they are
usually traveling from the non-mulched areas at night.

It seems most effective when applied using the Ruth Stout method: spread it
thick everywhere before the season starts and then just pull it aside a bit
to poke seeds or transplants in. I found it much harder to apply after
plants were in and the weed suppression was not near as complete.

Caveat: As mentioned, it's not cheap.

The offset for me is the amount of labor saved by not having to do virtually
any weeding for most of the season. The few that come up where the mulch has
been disturbed are shallow-rooted and pull readily.

Kate
W. Washington