market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] hay as a mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] hay as a mulch
  • Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 08:55:49 -0500

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 08:27:00 -0800, you wrote:

>After the wheat and grass hay farmers in our region started using clopyralid
>on their fields to suppress broadleaf weeds, I switched to alfalfa. In this
>area, Pacific Northwest, it's currently a tad cheaper than grass hay and
>IMHO much more effective as a mulch. Side effects seem to be fewer as well.
>
>Good quality alfalfa rarely has any weed seed. It's effectiveness at weed
>suppression is amazing. When spread, the leaf tends to shatter off the stems
>and form a thin layer that almost seals into a sheet with the next rain.
>Left undisturbed it's usually months before you see any weed seed sprouts
>coming through.

I have often wondered why alfalfa isn't used for lawns. Is there some
reason why it wouldn't be suitable for a lawn (rather than grass)?

Would it need to be mowed? Or, thought of in another way, how many times a
year can you cut hay from it?

I'd love to have alfalfa for a source of organic material for the compost
pile, and for turning under directly in the garden.

Pat

-- Northern Pennsylvania
'Every one of us can do something to protect and care for our
planet. We should live in such a way that makes a
future possible.' - Thich Nhat Hanh