market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] record keeping

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] record keeping
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 14:57:54 GMT

Thanks Lucy.
I would love a copy of that. Sounds like you need to share with
everyone on the list though! I will also try some of the software
programs the others mentioned. I have quicken on my computer already
I don't know why I didn't think of using it.
I guess the biggest problem for us is keeping track of what comes out
of the field. If we were weighing and bagging things up before market
it would be easy. But, we pick, wash and load everything into what we
call blueberry lugs. These are great for transporting to market, but
we have no idea how much of anything gets put into those lugs. At
market we box everything into quart boxes. There again, we have a
general idea of how many tomatoes come out of the lug and into quart
boxes, but we don't know for SURE. We write down every lug that goes
onto the truck, and at the end of market we write down what we bring
home. We get so busy at market that we can't write down or keep track
of anything. From start to stop it is crazy busy. Some days we don't
even get a restroom break! We like those days though!
Thanks to everyone for all the help,
Carla