market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] record keeping

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Christine & Marlin" <glenecofarm AT planetcomm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] record keeping
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 17:46:42 -0500

We use the widely available Quicken program to track our business expenses
and income. Quicken allows you to set up categories for each of your
expense items- taxes, fuel, seed, repair and maintenance, supplies etc. and
your income items- carrots, tomatoes, beans, berries etc. Your can set up
as many categories as you need and name them whatever you wish. At years
end you can generate category reports which break down all of your expenses
and income and spit them out on your printer for you to peruse at your
leisure. You can even set up subcategories- for example wholesale sales,
retail sales, farmers' market, PYO, CSA, whatever. It's not perfect but
pretty good. It's only as good as the goofball that tries to use it. I
happen to be fortunate enough to have a DW who apparently kind of likes to
do this stuff and is a little better at it than I am.

Marlin Burkholder
Virginia

Hi,
has anyone come up with the perfect record keeping system? We keep track of
all of our expenses of course. We know how much we made at the end of the
year, and how much we spent, but breaking that down into a per crop
number? I'm clueless. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Carla