market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] garlic rotation

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] garlic rotation
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 08:44:02 -0400

On Oct 16, 2006, at 10:15 PM, Elaine Granata wrote:

Folks: I'm getting ready to put in garlic and need help knowing where garlic
fits in crop rotation. Does anyone know what crop it should follow?

Thanks for your help.

Elaine
Denver, Zone 5

I like to have mine follow the strawberries when possible, because the straw mulch used in the strawberries helps lighten up my heavy ground for it. (The garlic itself also gets straw mulch over the winter.)

This year it needs to go in a field dry enough to work up, though. At least, it *was* dry enough to work up; now it's raining again. I got the ground about ready, but didn't have time to get it planted before the wet returned. Sure hope there's another dry patch coming; they've been rare around here this year. -- wish I could send this rain to those of you with drought!