market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] New member

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Bill Bradshaw" <billbradshaw AT hughes.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] New member
  • Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 09:19:56 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Willie McKemie" <mf AT austinfarm.org>
To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2006 5:35 AM

Right now we are struggling through the drought, and the critters that
keep chewing up our drip lines. We can't turn the drip on without walking
every single line looking for holes. If anyone has any suggestions for
deterring these water starved creatures I would sure appreciate it!

If your line chewers are rabbits or rodents, you can give them water as
Bill suggests. I have used bowls, such as dog water bowls, set into
the ground at the ends of drip tape runs. If you use auto drain
valves, they will supply enough water to the bowls. If not, you can
install an emitter for each bowl. That's not a cure, but it will
probably help.

I've gotten stories from all over central Texas of wells going dry. I
look forward to next year's complaints of too much water.

Willie, it has been super dry here also. Our farm pond is almost dry and it holds 14 acre feet of water. And no rain is site. We usually harvest until frost but have had nothing to harvest for last few weeks, so it is over here.
Also saw some new critters working over the drip tape yesterday. Crows
Bill

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 173 days 12 hours 22 minutes