market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] New member

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "TxBeeFarmer" <TxBeeFarmer AT HotPop.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] New member
  • Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 16:19:14 -0500

I keep my drip line above ground. It's much easier to work with that way, unless you're using it for row crops, then it's better to burry it. Anyway, to keep the critters away from your hose, sprinkle blood meal along the tubing. The blood smell will keep most things away, with the exception of rats. Rats do come out at night and they will chew up your drip line. In the case of rats, the blood meal will attract them. I've had field rats destroy my melon patch too. Look for their droppings to determine what's eating your line. If I had to guess, I'd pick rabbits, gophers, or squirrels, in that order. Oh, if you use blood meal, a little goes a long ways. It's a strong nitrogen source, 13-15%, and can burn your plants if you put too much. It makes a wonderful nitrogen fertilizer in small amounts.

Good Luck
TxBeeFarmer
West Texas Zone 7b

----- Original Message ----- From: <cjmaness AT juno.com>