market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] English Cuc question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] English Cuc question
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 08:12:30 -0400

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 21:21:46 -0600, you wrote:

>I'm growing some English Hothouse cuc's and have a request for 30 of them,
>individually wrapped. Any suggestions on what to wrap them with?
>
>Pricing?
>
>GFM June issue had a wholesale price list for organic as of 5/17 at 12 for
>$51, but I'm wondering if that would be a seasonally high price and I'm not
>"certified" - just certifiable this time of year!!!.

Local supermarkets (northern Pennsylvania) usually charge $1.99 each for
them - non-organic. That's retail, obviously. We don't buy them at that
price, but we notice the price because my (English) husband especially
likes them. Now and then, they're on sale for $1 and we will buy one then.

Twelve for $51 at wholesale (even organic) seems awfully high - that's
$4.25 each. Yikes. Do people really have that kind of money to spend on a
cucumber? Even an organic one?

Pat
Blog (mainly gardening and cooking related):
http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com/