market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Dryland Peppers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Karen Sutherland & Roots Farm <rootsfarm AT marpin.dm>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Dryland Peppers
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 15:40:40 -0400

Title: rootsfarm_signature
We grow a huge assortment of sweet,  hot and seasoning peppers without irrigation in a tropical climate that is often too much rain, sometimes good amounts of rain, and for 2 months or so bone dry under blazing sun.  Sweet peppers fare less well than the hot and seasoning (aji dulces type) peppers through the dry season, but we are always amazed at how most varieties of hot peppers and the seasoning peppers live through the dry and start flowering as soon as the first rains start again.  Ancho and Anaheim types are not as reliable for us as jalapenos, serranos, cayennes, tabascos and other fiendishly hot ones.  The plants have to be well established with good root systems, but not too old,  to reliably make it through the dry.  We have never tried starting seed in the beds or rows themselves, but do take advantage of volunteers who start themselves -- usually cayenne types and usually found in the shade of other plants.

Good luck and all best wishes,

Karen

Karen Sutherland
Roots Farm
Organic Produce : Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs

Cockrane, Dominica
767-449-3038
rootsfarm AT marpin.dm

TxBeeFarmer wrote:
Any of you dryland farmers?  If so, I'm wondering, are there are any peppers
I could grow as a row crop from seed on dryland?  I currently grow yellow
squash, water melons, cantaloupe, black eyed peas, blue lake beans, Kentucky
wonder beans, pinto beans, pumpkins, and a little corn (corn usually doesn't
do well).

Thanks