market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] pricing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] pricing
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 10:20:07 -0400

The price difference for organic is amazing at the NewFarm site...I looked
at Green Beans...in Philadelphia and Boston (the two closest markets)
organic are over $60 per 25#, while conventional are $16 per 25#.
"Certified" organic doesn't get you any more money here, but people know
that I use organic methods, and I can get $1/pound for greenbeans through
the whole season....possibly could get more. I'm raising all my prices
this year...I'm tired of working so hard and being so poor.

Does anyone go by the supermarket prices? I've had SO many customers tell
me what the same item costs at the supermarket. Especially eggs...I raised
my price for free-range to $1.50/dz, and have gotten a ton of complaints.
Of course it's NOT the same item, but try to tell the cheapskates that
(not a lot of food-savvy people here). At a local show, we did a
side-by-side comparison of store egg vs. free-range. Besides being bright
orange (compared to sickly yellow), the yolk of the free-range egg was
literally twice the size of a large store egg. Hmmm...maybe I should do
that comparison every week at the Farmers' Market. It's worth having to
buy a dozen store eggs (the cats and dogs like them...*I* won't eat them).

Lynn Wigglesworth
Cowbridge Farm
Tioga County, PA