market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] pricing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] pricing
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 07:53:00 -0400

On Tue, 23 May 2006 23:45:24 -0400, you wrote:

>2 things leap out at me:
>
>1) Many owners are agreeable if the price is right, otherwise they lose
>interest. Each item needs to be priced individually, and he will order what
>he thinks he needs. Your pricing will be compared to the other vendors that
>he buys from. For top quality freshness, you can expect about a 10% premium
>over the standard vendor. For example, when I first sold green bell
>peppers, I was able to get $14/bu. Purveyors price was $11.80/bu. Another
>farmer I know priced his at $18/bu and sold 6 bushel that entire season.
> Finding out what the purveyors prices are in your area is a whole
> different game, sometimes bordering on espionage.

NewFarm.org has a table with wholesale prices of organic and
conventional foodstuffs in various regions of the country.
It's updated frequently, I think each week. It might be of
some help here:

http://newfarm.org/opx/

Pat

--
Gardening in northern Pennsylvania.

Eat local food, change the world for the better!