market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Aphids (was Heirlooms/Desperate help)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "" <herbthyme AT simcon.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Aphids (was Heirlooms/Desperate help)
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 11:23:03 -0400

M pede is a soap product. Are these tomato plants in the greenhouse? are they
in trays waiting to be transplanted in the field?. Water your plants with a
light shot of 20-10-20 and follow up with a separate watering of mag
sulphate. I almost always find that aphids are a result of poor nutrition
when they show up unannounced in the greenhouse... Bob.

Thanks Bob,
They are transplants waiting to be transplanted into cups for sale. Not to
go to the field yet. Too soon for us here. I am selling most of them and it
is killing me that I did such a stupid thing! Lost most of my peppers and I
am SO not happy about that! I had 45 varieties this year of peppers and 101
of tomatoes! I can't believe that I am in buisness for myself and I have to
go and buy pepper plants so I can sell peppers this summer. That is just
sooooo lame. Can you tell I am still new at this after 4 years?!?! That is
interesting about the poor nutrition factor. I sprayed with the oil this
February before I put anything out there in the greenhouse to prep it for
plants. I do every year, and that is why I am so puzzeled about all of this.
I am thinking that I did not store it properly from last summer and through
the winter and that it may not be much good anymore. and then I sprayed with
new stuff too close together and that is what killed so much. I actually
shed tears out there when I saw them the next day! And I am still finding
them on things, but not as bad as it was. So I am now killing them by hand
when ever I see them. Thanks for the advice.

Courtney
Herb Thyme
Middlefield, Oh