market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tomato boxes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tomato boxes
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 13:15:07 -0500

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 10:12:59AM -0700, david purpura wrote:
> Hi All. Thanks for the ez up advice. Now I'm looking for tomato boxes -
> cardboard (waxed?) - 15 to 20 lb size. I'm having a hard time finding the
> ones I used last year, and I'm not really going to pay over a buck apiece,
> am I?

Here in central Texas, tomatoes are generally put in the same boxes
used for peaches: a fold together 1/2 bu un-waxed. In the past ten
years, they have ranged in price from about $.65 to about $1.10. Last
time I looked, maybe a year ago, they were about $.80. The box is
deeper than I would like, about three tomato layers. Many years ago, I
had some custom made two layer boxes; I haven't recently found a box
company willing to run less than about 100,000. About 10,000 has been
the most I've been willing to buy at any one time.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.0/GNU/Linux system uptime 53 days 20 hours 10 minutes