market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Weather Challenges

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shelly Elliott" <shelly AT idlethyme.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Weather Challenges
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:01:14 -0600

Courtney,
I use them in my propogation greenhouse (12x24). I have lined them up along the walls and put cedar boards on top for greenhouse shelves (I also run shelves down the middle). They are supposed to be painted white on the inside to reflect light but I have not gotten around to it yet (grrrr in 3 years). They are full of water and absorb heat during the day and release it at night. I cannot give you the scholarly scientific answer but I know that it works. I am fortunate to have Shane Smith (The Greenhouse Growers Companion) as a local resource and friend. He runs the Cheyenne Botanic Gardens. They have a huge 100% solar greenhouse that produces enough heat even in the winter to heat their offices. Black barrels are one of their tricks. There is more that I would do with this greenhose if I was not planning on putting up a new one in the fall. The new one will run year round and will be as solar as possible with backup heat.
Shelly

----- Original Message ----- From: <herbthyme AT simcon.net>