market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Weather Challenges

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Weather Challenges
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:03:59 -0400

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 07:15:07 -0600, you wrote:

>We only got about 4 inches of snow. It was actually really cool when it
>started .....it was about 3am and it started to thunder and lightning pretty
>violently. Then the sleet started, followed by about 15 minutes of pea sized
>hail (the kind I never mind seeing), then it quieted down into a

We didn't have anything as dramatic, but it was really cold
last night. The forecast was for 22 F, but when I got up
this morning, the temperature was 25 F. I think that was as
low as it got. (Northern Pennsylvania, in the
Appalachians.)

We had covered up everything frost-tender in the hoophouse
(with big pots and garbage pails). The tomatoes are all
fine. A few of the peppers survived, but it appears that
most did not survive. Drat. My eggplants are still small;
we brought them into the house.

It was 80 here last week and everything grew so fast that it
all got ahead of the season. It's really difficult when the
weather is so wildly changeable.

Pat
--
Gardening in northern Pennsylvania.

Eat local food, change the world for the better!