market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tomato cages

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tomato cages
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 17:09:02 -0500

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 06:49:59AM -0500, David Tannen wrote:
> I just purchased a roll of concrete wire to make tomato cages. The roll is
> 5' by 150'. What length of wire do I need to use for each cage?

Last year I experimented with re-mesh tunnels. I cut re-mesh in about
10' lengths and bent them into a "U" shape about 1.5-2' wide and 1.5'
high. They are placed end to end down the length of the tomato row.
With 2' plant spacing, each piece covers about 5 plants.

Several advantages over round cages:
1) structure is far more stable and doesn't have to be staked or pinned
down.
2) off season storage is much easier; they can be nested and stacked
3) no danger of puncturing irrigation tubing
4) cost is less; 2' of re-mesh per plant
5) construction/assembly is easier and faster

Disadvantages:
1) plants and fruit are not held as high off the ground.
2) probably not suitable for indeterminate varieties, though I used
them with good success on Julietes last year.
3) what else?

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.0/GNU/Linux system uptime 37 days 23 hours 55 minutes