market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Asparagus

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Asparagus
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 08:21:21 -0500

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 07:59:48AM -0500, Bill Shoemaker wrote:
> The old recommendation was to not pick asparagus until the third season.
> You
> planted Jersey Knight last year. If your plants made good progress and

I lightly harvested my young asparagus the year after planting and then
heavily subsequent years. No apparent ill effects. My transplants were
small, in 2" peat pots.

We pick asparagus every day as long as we can get a pound or two. We
pick only the upper tender part of spears, which leaves stubs that
sprout. After a few weeks of harvest, we have quite a lot of ferns out
there from stubs, "grass" that we did not pick, and spears that we
missed. I HOPE that that allows extended harvest without plant damage;
it seems to. We pick asparagus as early as February and give up in May
or June. Some years, we pick a little in the Fall.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.0/GNU/Linux system uptime 30 days 15 hours 12 minutes