market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Mice in hoophouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Robin Follette" <marketgardener AT thymeforewe.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Mice in hoophouse
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 17:01:05 -0400

> And now a mouse/mice have gotten into the plant room and have decimated
> melon seeds, pepper seedlings, lettuce seedlings etc about everything
> but eggplant, celery, parsley and sage. so today is spent replanting
> everything. I am glad I jumped the gun on the peppers. we have now put
> all the melon seeds in the kitchen on top of the fridge. I have never
> seen a mouse in the house plus there are two cats in the house. Did find
> a half dead mouse in a trap in the seed room so perhaps the problems
> will be over for a few days.
>
> Lucy

Eliot Coleman showed us a slide of the trap he uses for meadow voles. He
also showed us the meadow vole stomp, which was very amusing! I wish I'd
asked the size of the box. Two spring traps fit inside it easily. It's a
wooden box with a removable top. Cut a "mouse hole" in one side. Set the
unbaited traps, close the cover and leave it. Voles like to go into cozy
places. Marada Cook said this also works with a cardboard box. I don't
know if it will work for mice but it's worth a try.

Robin Follette
Thyme For Ewe Farm www.thymeforewe.com
Editor, Farm & Garden www.farm-garden.com