market-farming - [Market-farming] climbing beans

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Andrea <elsaella AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] climbing beans
  • Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 11:06:56 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

If you want to plant climbing beans, I would recommend you plant corn in the same spot. Let the corn grow until 3-4 leaves. Then seed the climbing beans,right at the ffot of the corn, they will give nitrogen to the corn which needs it, and in return the corn will serve as a pole. And if you like pumpkins, sow them betwwen the plants here and  there too. They will give some much appreciated shade on the ground to keep the corn a little cooler at the base, which they prefer.
By the way this is the old native way to plant what the indian people call The Three Sisters. And they work great together, you save space, and every body will be happy.
Good luck
Andrea from Canada

TxBeeFarmer wrote:

Thought I'd plant pole beens this year to save my back. Can some of you
recommend a simple way to build something for the beens to climb on? Think
there'll be 4 rows about 250 ft. long.

Thanks
TxBeeFarmer