market-farming - [Market-farming] herbs at market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] herbs at market
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:53:27 -0800 (PST)

>> I tie mine with string and place in a sandwich sized zip-lock and try to
> catch as much air as possible when closing it. The air-pocket helps
> protect the leaves from crushing. I do a universal fresh herb price of
> $2.00 per ounce.>
>
> Doesn't this crush the herbs and make them less fresh than keeping them in
> water until they sell?
>
> No this will keep them fresher than being in water because they will not
> lose moisture in the bags or be damaged as badly by sun/wind at market.
> i have sold basil both in jars of water and in bags and the basil in the
> water always has to be tossed after market but the basil in bags will
> last several days
>
> Lucy Goodman
> Boulder Belt Farm
> Eaton, OH

Same here...I tried for years to do the herbs in water but found in the
long run they looked better in the ziplocks. I display them on a flat
basket with frozen gel packs under a nice napkin. It's also cleaner.
Every one seems to need to fondle leafy greens and after an hour or so
they were looking pretty sad. This way, if they don't sell, I can bring
them home and know they are sanitary enough to dry as another product.

  • [Market-farming] herbs at market, sora, 03/21/2006