market-farming - [Market-farming] root zone heating

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] root zone heating
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 17:03:49 -0800 (PST)

> Just this last month I've talked a string of growers
> and engineers looking at energy savings in greenhouses,
> many focusing on solar designs with super-insulated
> north and side walls, as well as many inquiries on
> root-zone heating.
>
> Anybody out there have any info or links on wood fired thermosiphon hot
water heating? I found surprisingly little on google. I've got an old
Vermont castings stove with a water jacket that is back to back with the
future greenhouse. I would like to cycle the hot water for root zone
heating. Any plans out there for this sort of thing? Are the
advantages of warm soil worth the effort? Or would just a tank in the
space offer similar advantage?