market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] gnats in hoophouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Christina Palaia" <cmpalaia AT comcast.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] gnats in hoophouse
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:50:32 -0700

Last winter I had fungus gnats in my houseplants. I used the Gardens Alive
product to drench the plants according to the directions. I had been growing
a giant sequoia from seed that was then 5 years old and looked like a
beautiful, yet miniature, tree. Within 3 weeks of the Knock-Out Gnats
application the tree was dead. Coincidence, perhaps. But my best guess was
that I probably killed the mycorrhizal fungi on the tree's roots. And the
gnats reappeared in the other houseplants within a few weeks. This year, we
just live with the gnats...

Firefly Mountain Produce, zone 3/4, CO