market-farming - [Market-farming] Commercial kitchen

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Adriana" <adriana AT chefsgreens.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Commercial kitchen
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 17:58:17 -0600

Yes, they certainly do differ from state to state. In Alabama a license is required and the fine s $10,00 for selling food from an unlicensed facility.

I had a health inspector do a walk-thru with me in advance of possibly setting up a facility - this is well worth the investment of time. She has a brochure with all of the requirements. Among the highlights:
1. 2 handwashing sinks - one in the bathroom and one in the processing area
2. An exhaust fan in the bathroom
3. Hot water
4. Self-closing door to bathroom
5. Washable walls, floors and ceilings. No popcorn ceilings
6. No wood moldings such as baseboards, vinyl baseboards
7. City sewer or legal septic (holding tank with pumping contract not allowed)
8. No scratches on stainless steel tables
9. Racks to keep things 6" off of the floor
10. Triple sink in processing area in addition to hand washing sink. Some counties are mandating rounded corners in the sinks, check before you buy!

I guess laws in different states are different, but maybe not, dealing with
commercial kitchen, and what the requirements are.