market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] deer deterent

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Liz Pike <strawbry_wine AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] deer deterent
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 15:37:56 -0800 (PST)

Ok, I went out and got the Phantom Estate PROtector
today, the largest of the 2 models offered, supposed
coverage 6 acres. It's about an 8" long cylinder with
the mechanism buried inside for weather protection.
It took 4 AA batteries--instructions said it will last
a long time on those batteries--we'll see. There is a
switch inside for "test" or "repel" mode. Test means
you can hear it once or repel means it will sound off
every 5 minutes. You can also choose between a "hiss"
or a "scream". The hiss sounds like white noise not
an animal but the scream is real and does get
attention...everything from dogs to cats to horses
took notice but it isn't so loud and obnoxious as to
bother neighbors. Only an alert animal will be able
to hear this in the still of the night.

It has 2 "eyes" to determine sunset so it will go into
working mode. You can set it to work in daytime (how
I'm not sure, my guess is tape up the eyes or
disconnect them.) They do warn that if you use it
during the daytime, animals may become immune to it if
they only hear and do not see the "animal" making the
noise. I put it up and had to guide my wary horses
past it to where I wanted them to be since I'd set it
up so I could hear it from various locations around
the farm. Of course the actual acreage covered
depends on lay of land.

It will be a few days before we can tell if it's
working. I'll report on our progress.

Liz Pike
Hillsville VA