market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] deer deterrent

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Laurie Tiemens <momto8kiddos AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] deer deterrent
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:03:49 -0800 (PST)

I've done a little research on this Phantom Guard'n Protector. Even wrote the company with some questions.  They say to use it at night when the predators are around, not during the day.  They also say that if your animals are frightened by the sound to show it to them during the day.  Show them that you are the one making the sound.  They *should* they claim become desensitized then.

Laurie in Virginia

p.s. Here's his response:

[QUOTE]First I'll mention that there is a 6 month satisfaction guarantee, and I've not had a single return due to frightening domestic animals.

There are a few different reasons why there are no problems.

1.  Domestic animals are day oriented and these deterrents only function at night effecting the pest animals which are all primarily nocturnal.  Domestic animals may react by staying in closer to the safety of home as well.  Adding a further element of protection.

2.  All birds, and possibly some other domestic animals, lack instincts about cougar sounds.  They simply are not effected at all.

3.  Any animal can be desensitized by demonstrating to the animal that you are the source of the sound.  They trust you and will ignore the sound as a danger.  Humans are not instinctively feared either.

Domestic animals may be a bit nervous for a few days but all reports are that they adjust within a week or so at most.  The 2301/2004 hiss models are less likely to offend, but the 2014 can be switched as hiss or cougar scream. Often the scream sound is used initially to run off any existing predators, then switched to hiss unless extra effect is needed again.[/QUOTE]

It's difficult for me to believe this part:

'Animals deterred include: Deer, Coyote, Fox, Raccoon,
Skunk, Opossum and Armadillo. Doesn't bother; people,
poultry, pets or livestock.'

I can guarantee you that if my dogs heard a cougar-hiss,
they would be very bothered! They'd think it was a giant
cat, about to attack *their* cat.

They are *very* protective of their cat and they've seen
other cats attack her.<<

  • Re: [Market-farming] deer deterrent, Laurie Tiemens, 02/16/2006