market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Drip Tape

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Bill Bradshaw <billbradshaw AT direcway.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Drip Tape
  • Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 16:26:05 -0600

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 4:02 PM
Subject: [Market-farming] Drip Tape

I am getting ready to order 8 mil, low flow T-Tape on 12" spacing.  I have 20 beds that are 5' X 100' and I will lay 4 to 8 lines of T-Tape per bed.  The tape is laid on top of the bed, rows are marked and then seeded or transplanted.
I usually dispose of the tape at the end of the season.  From an ecological and economical view this seems to be a tremendous waste.
I am looking for an easy way to roll up the T-Tape at the end of the season so that it is out of the way, but ready to be reused the following spring. What I had in mind is a small spool that would be placed at the barb or fitting off of the main line.  At the end of the season the 100' length of the T-Tape would be rolled up and left over winter.  In the spring one could then easily roll the tape back out.
Has anybody experimented with this method or another way to roll up the T-Tape so that it can be reused?
Thanks.
David

David, we find that it is not worth the labor cost to reuse 8 mil. tape. We use about 30 7500' rolls.  It is not very strong and damages very easily.  I think if one was going to reuse the tape the thicker tape would be best. Maybe 10-15 mil. I know the cost would be greater but you might have better usage. TexasBill