market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] More farmers' market questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sam White <cedarrockcsa AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] More farmers' market questions
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 07:02:08 -0800 (PST)

Hi Barb,

Our farmers market in Western Maryland is held 4
different times each week, at 3 different towns in our
county. Each vendor can pay $150 up front for the
season, or $10 per day if you plan to attend less than
15 times. This covers our insurance and the trader's
license required by the towns and county.

Regarding your location issue, could you get the local
Chamber involved? The towns we set up in(about 15
vendors) are happy to see us, as foot traffic is
increased ten-fold. Just a thought. I know our
business association and Chamber would be upset if we
were to leave the business districts in each town.

As for prices, I'm the only organic(actually CNG) at
the major town and I get very little business. Our
county has the 3rd highest median age in the United
States. Out of the 500+ people who visit our market
on its busiest day, I would say 50 to 100 people are
under the age of 60. Sweet corn and green beans are
the big attraction here. The price is set by the
vendors that have been here since the markets
inception(rightfully so) and it reflects the incomes
of most of our customers. Green Peppers are 25 cents,
Cukes are 20 cents. 6 large tomatoes for $2. Sweet
corn was $4.00 a dozen this past summer, and few
complained about the price. But I have a difficult
time selling my lettuce mix for $3.00 a gallon bag.

But I do see a turning point. Folks from the
Washington metro area are moving here and I have some
regulars now. Not enough to make a living at it, but
perhaps some day.

Good luck with your market.

Sam
Western Maryland