market-farming - [Market-farming] More farmers' market questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Barb Miller" <barbmill AT chilitech.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] More farmers' market questions
  • Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 14:47:39 -0500

We are working on a local food initiative in the Northern Tier of Pa and one of our projects is to improve the 31 year old farmers' market. They have been shunted from one location to another and now set-up in a parking lot about a mile from town. The lot is hot and ugly and they miss a lot of the downtown trade because of their location. I have a lot in mind that is within close proximity to the grocery store, within walking distance of the business district and is aesthetically pleasing. Only problem with the lot is it is privately owned. The market mgr. charges $2 per stall so there is no money for insurance and since the vendors are all backyard growers, I doubt that any of them carry any sort of market insurance either. Before I approach the owner about using the lot, I'd like to know what sort of arrangement is typical between an owner and the market....

Those of you who sell at market...what sort of insurance does the market carry? Is it purchased through stall fees or is it provided by the owner of the lot? Do any of you lease your lot? If so, what sort of deal do you have with the owner? I'd also be interested in knowing what everyone pays per stall at their respective markets and what sort of money do you make in a day?

I surely appreciate any/all help with this!
Barb Miller
Tioga County, PA