market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] question regarding farmer's markets, etc

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: sharon_d AT excite.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] question regarding farmer's markets, etc
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 17:27:56 -0500

On Feb 4, 2006, at 2:26 PM, Sharon Davenport wrote:

<x-tad-smaller>I intend to start selling my produce at several local farmer's markets this year, and would like to know several things. First, where do people buy the containers used, and how do you go about pricing your produce? I had wanted to do this several years ago, but due to my husband's illness and death, I had to put all that on hold. I would appreciate any help and advice you all can give! thanks, Sharon Davenport</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>
Growing for Market has a free PDF about selling at farmers' markets that is very useful. Among other things it does discuss pricing. You can get it from:

http://www.growingformarket.com/

I include a lot of information in deciding on my pricing -- local retail prices, local farmers' market prices, wholesale organic prices; then try to adjust for how much trouble/expense the crop is for me, and sometimes how much I have of it.

There's a site that gives prices at other farmers' markets, also useful but areas do vary, and you also need to know how prices run in your area.: (well, there used to be, anyway. I just went there, and got "this section is no longer available; this portion of the website is under construction". Maybe it'll be back. You could check with New Farm some time from now and see. it used to be at: http://newfarm.org/opxgr/

Don't underprice your stuff. There will be somebody at every market complaining that things are too expensive. Produce quality, and price accordingly. (On some items, you might also want to offer "canning grade" (or similar description) at a cheaper price. But make sure there's a clear distinction between these and your firsts, though the "canning grade" shouldn't be total junk.)

Rivka's Pricing Rule Of Thumb: If everybody tells you your price is too high, your price is probably too high. But if nobody tells you your price is too high, your price is much too low.</x-tad-smaller>

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly