market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] question regarding farmer's markets, etc

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] question regarding farmer's markets, etc
  • Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 05:15:39 -0500

pricing is an art. As has been mentioned look at grocery store prices abut also look at what others at market are charging. You do not want to undercut anyone at your markets as this will mean they may lose business to you and you will not make a profit on your goods.

Personally I do not like using grocery store prices as I do not sell what the big groceries sell. I tend to have much higher quality and different, rare varieties. But I will check a couple of times a month to make sure I am not going under the local grocery store prices. that said my first couple of years I did tend to stick to what the groceries were charging but later found out I could charge more for most things.

In the end what you want to do is charge a price that keeps items moving and also insures you make a profit after all your expenses. this is pretty much impossible to do the first couple of years because you will not have the records of income and expenditures that you will collect over time. So the best thing to do is go with the local grocery prices at first but realize in a few years you should have records that will give you guidelines about what you should be charging to make a profit.

I get a lot of my packaging items at http://www.montepkg.com. The prices are reasonable and they have great customer service

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Farm
Eaton, OH