market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Raising poultry

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "marcy" <marcy AT aculink.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Raising poultry
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 22:54:51 -0700

On hawk losses - over several years I'd lost more pullets than I even want
to think about to both hawks and owls and tried all the suggestions I heard.
I don't mind losses here and there to keep the balance in the local
wildlife, but we're talking major losses.

A year ago I tried a suggestion from another list and was amazed at how
effective it was. Just use a tall post (or wire a pipe to a post) in the
middle of your pen. Run some colored nylon string from the center post to
your side posts (electro net or otherwise) and on every other string or so
tie a CD onto the string. The CD's will move around in the breeze and
reflect the light so the hawks and owls stay away.

It was just after Christmas last year when I put up the "spiderweb" as the
boys called it and the pullets were about 8 weeks old when I let them out of
the straw bale house and I didn't lose any more. I don't have problems here
once they're full grown and the string didn't last that long, but it's
simple enough to replace if you needed to protect full size birds you could.
Sure was nice to get them all into production!

Good luck!
Marcy