market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Raising poultry

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jen Prosser" <jen AT sunstoneherbs.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Raising poultry
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:11:41 -0500

And I thought my area was under rapid development.

I've heard the same thing about roosters or guinea hens protecting hens, but
my two roosters per 25 laying hens never stopped a hawk. Only the dogs did.
We trained them (two lab mixes!) to sit with the chicks and recognize the
hawk's call. If the hawks swooped or circled too low, the dogs would bark
and chase them off.

No more hawk losses, but yes, agree that the loss of a hen or two is worth
the benefit of hawks. Thankfully, the dogs only bark at the hawks when the
hawks are near the chickens -they don't "patrol" for hawks in the fields or
woods.

We actually sowed up a hen's crop after a vicious hawk attack. I was
particularly fond of this Blue Andalusian so I told her if her neck wasn't
broken, I'd do what I could. And she's just fine. Amazing birds.

Jen Prosser
Sunstone Herb Farm
55 Sunstone Rd.
Olivebridge, NY 12461