market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Mychorrizal Innoculants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Nan Johnson" <nan AT olemiss.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Mychorrizal Innoculants
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 16:28:35 -0600

In the winter of 04/05 I inoculated our potting mix last spring with two different products from The Green Spot (www.greenmethods.com): "Mycostop" (streptomyces bacteria) and "Rootshield" (Trichoderma harzianum).   The two products were added to all our fresh potting mix.  The mix was used for filling pots for transplanting plants, not for the germination trays. The plants stay in these pots for at least a year (50 different species).

I also innoculated into the soil of the permanent raised beds later in spring 05 when temps were higher.

We had experienced the loss of at least 1/3 of our perennial medicinal plants that were in raised beds outdoors the summer of 2004 to Sclerotium rolfsii (soil fungal disease that is airborne and ever present in our area).

We chose to inoculate our potting mix in the winter of 04/05 assuming we would face the same challenge....we also innoculated all the raised beds that had perennial medicinal plants surviving into the spring of 2005.

Since this was not a scientific experiment, we didn't have any control pots (of uninoculated potting mix), so whether it worked or not, I can't say.

We had less loss to the Sclerotium rolfsii outdoors in our beds this past summer 2005, but again, no control plots and too many variables (there was a different species in each of the raised beds, sometimes three different species and the weather and watering schedules were different last summer, as was the weather).

I do think The Green Spot is a fine company, and that we got what we paid for in terms of a living product.  They are very helpful over the phone too!

nan at dancing goats farm, n. mississippi