market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Fungal growth on top of greenhouse flats

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Fungal growth on top of greenhouse flats
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 22:53:39 -0500

The fungus I believe you are describing can be pretty destructive to a flat of sunflower seeds being raised for soil-based micro-greens. Organically-oriented but not certified sprout growers I know use dilutions of food-grade hydrogen peroxide to control it. I've known some to use silver nitrate others to use EM. In my experience, it is not always controlled by compost in the soil mix, which is the assumption of we non-sterilization types. The fuzz I'm talking about in sunflower sprouts can be mistaken for root hairs, until you look at it carefully.

-Allan Balliet