market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] container tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: mjb <mjb AT premier1.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] container tomatoes
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 08:50:35 -0800

Never any fertilizing. (The mix is fantastic. I developed it with a local soil maker. I gave him the ingredients and he mixed with the proper proportions.) Just the water, which during the heat of July and August was every early evening for an hour or so. We are in zone 7, sort of, Carnation, Washington, just east of Seattle.

This was during the normal growing season. The only reason we did this was out of desperation. I had no place for them to go last year but the greenhouse we start transplants in and also our chicks. We also have a severe rat problem due to our chickens and the fact we are in old dairy country so planting in the ground in that particular greenhouse has always failed as the rats eat the roots rather quickly (we still had to stop them from going after the fruit). So I had seen tomatoes grown in bags here and thought I would try it. I didn't want to use gro bags as they are used only once generally so I went with pots. From now on I think I will always grow in pots. The sides and doors were open always.

We are thinking of putting our raspberry in pots in tunnels this year as we are always fighting root rot.

Michaele

Allan Balliett wrote:

We tried (as an experiment) growing indeterminate mostly heirlooms in 3
gallon containers in the greenhouse. They were pruned and trellised and
used our left over organic seedling mix. It was an experiment, and the
results were fantastic. Yields were very good, and the tomatoes were
enormous and delicious sometimes over 3lbs.

Michaele Blakely
Growing Things Farm

So, no twice weekly fertilizing?
What zone are you in?
Do you roll up the sides of your hoop house?
Were you growing these pre-season? If not, was hoop house heat an issue with fruit setting?
Thanks, Michaele!

-Allan