market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] container tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] container tomatoes
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 09:30:57 -0500

From: "mjb" <mjb AT premier1.net>

> We tried (as an experiment) growing indeterminate mostly heirlooms in 3
> gallon containers in the greenhouse. They were pruned and trellised and
> used our left over organic seedling mix. It was an experiment, and the
> results were fantastic. Yields were very good, and the tomatoes were
> enormous and delicious sometimes over 3lbs.

Last spring I planted Marianna's Peace tomatoes (large heirloom) in tires
in the greenhouse (tires stacked two high, filled with a mix of garden
soil, compost, sand, and my 'secret mix' of soil amendments for tomatoes).
The plants thrived all summer producing tasty big tomatoes. They continued
through fall and into winter, under HPS lights (16 hours/day), but the
tomatoes became mealy and tasteless.

It's a barely-heated greenhouse and we had some very cold weather before
Christmas...It was just above freezing in there. I guess tomatoes need the
heat as well as light to develop texture and flavor. I ripped out most of
the plants, but one is still going (kind of sad-looking). I'll see what it
does in the spring.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA