market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] container tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] container tomatoes
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 08:57:10 -0500

We tried (as an experiment) growing indeterminate mostly heirlooms in 3
gallon containers in the greenhouse. They were pruned and trellised and
used our left over organic seedling mix. It was an experiment, and the
results were fantastic. Yields were very good, and the tomatoes were
enormous and delicious sometimes over 3lbs.

Michaele Blakely
Growing Things Farm

So, no twice weekly fertilizing?
What zone are you in?
Do you roll up the sides of your hoop house?
Were you growing these pre-season? If not, was hoop house heat an issue with fruit setting?
Thanks, Michaele!

-Allan