market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] container tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: mjb <mjb AT premier1.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] container tomatoes
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 21:06:31 -0800

We tried (as an experiment) growing indeterminate mostly heirlooms in 3 gallon containers in the greenhouse. They were pruned and trellised and used our left over organic seedling mix. It was an experiment, and the results were fantastic. Yields were very good, and the tomatoes were enormous and delicious sometimes over 3lbs.

Michaele Blakely
Growing Things Farm

sora AT coldreams.com wrote:

Another friend of mine grows indeterminate tomatoes in
containers in a greenhouse and ties them to strings and
prunes them. He's British, and this is the way tomatoes are
generally grown in the UK.

-Just over the Canadian border north of me there are massive

tomato/English cucumber greenhouse operations that are all container
grown. They're using grow bags with pruned, staked, indeterminates. The results are absolutely amazing. When I toured they had a 12'tall
tomato forest pumping out hundreds of pounds of ripe tomatoes in early
May...in Canada! There's actually quite a bit of info out there on
their method, including Canadian government pamphlets. Do a google
search for Alberta greenhouse tomatoes....