market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Aluminum seed packets?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Christine & Marlin" <glenecofarm AT planetcomm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Aluminum seed packets?
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:01:30 -0500

I was just sitting here in the house moping around, trying to get over a head cold, and wasting a little of this precious warm January weather (ought to be getting some needed outside work done) time when I decided to indulge my craving for something fruity to drink.  My wanderings took me to the garage refrigerator where I found a pack of “Tang” drinks that come in those collapsible packets with the little straw taped on the side that you are supposed to punch thru a little hole near the top to get your drink.  I was sucking one of them down when it hit me.  Yeeesss! This thing is made of heat sealed aluminum and when pressed flat it is about the same size as a seed packet!  The beauty of it is when the top is smoothly cut off with scissors and the bottom spread open, it will sit upright on a table top with the top spread open.  It is a cinch to pour seed into the top, press the packet flat, fold the top down two times, and secure the folds with a paper clip.  Slap a computer label or two on the side for writing pertinent information and you are all set to go.

Marlin Burkholder

Virginia

Does anyone know how to find the type of empty seed packets that the Franchi

Sementi company from Italy and perhaps Parks Seed uses for their seed

packets?  They are wonderful!  One or two folds of the top of an opened

packet securely seals the packet and it is airtight and highly unlikely to

leak seed even if stored upside down.  I would like to get a bunch of

empties and repack all of my packet seed.  Fedco and Johnny's Select Seeds

are both decent seed suppliers but their packaging is terrible!  I am sick

and tired of seed packets coming apart and spilling seed in storage.  I

store my seeds in a deep freezer when I am not using them and it works

fairly well despite the fact that I have never bothered to use airtight

containers or to use silica gel packets to hold down the humidity.  This is

most likely the reason the seed packets become unglued if kept for several

seasons.  I could use tighter containers and the silica gel and it would

probably help but I like better the idea that if all of my seed were in

individual airtight packets then I wouldn't be disturbing the airtightness

of my unused seed every time I get into the freezer to get something for

planting.  Also for some items that need to be seeded at frequent intervals,

the task of resealing a plastic packet with a Food Saver (a pretty neat

tool) every time I open it is a pain that can be easily resolved if a few

folds with the fingers will do.  I could also just use plastic ziplock snack

bags with a little silica gel inside with the seeds but they are not nearly

as good as the Franchi packets.  If no one can point me to a good sourse, or

have better ideas that is most likely what I will end up doing.

Marlin Burkholder