market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Potatoes in Plastic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: mjb <mjb AT premier1.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Potatoes in Plastic
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:32:54 -0800

Hi Jeff,

What was your spacing?

Thanks,
Michaele Blakely
Growing Things Farm
Carnation Wa

Jeff Cantara wrote:

We are a small-scale organic farm in NH cultivating about 5 acres for a CSA, restaurant accounts and Farmer's Markets. With the exception of a Troy Bilt 10 hp tiller, we have access to tractor and implements usually only at the beginning and end of the season.
Last year we grew potatoes under 1.25 mil plastic mulch for the first time. Drip tape was laid under the mulch for controlled irrigation.
Here is the sum total of our potato work last year- Lay plastic. Use rotating dibble to punch hole every 6". Plant potatoes through plastic. Irrigate twice weekly. Wait 10-12 weeks. Mow tops off. Pull plastic. Pick up potatoes and sell 'em.
It was that easy. I don't have all our varieties off the top of my head, but a few that did real well were "All Blue", Caribe, Yellow Finn, Rose Gold and many more. After planting I gave almost zero thought to the potatoes until harvest. Yields were on par with traditional hilling, but there was no need to cultivate, hill, or dig to harvest. One of the best time saving practices we have ever employed. Very big decrease in CPB too!
Jeff
New Roots Farm

Yahoo! Photos
Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/photos/*http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/photos/evt=38087/*http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//page?.file=calendar_splash.html&.dir=>. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.