market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market Price Standards

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "william jones" <williamtgreat AT zcloud.net>
  • To: <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market Price Standards
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 17:03:30 -0500

Re: Price standards.

We had that problem this summer. Our market is relative new in a good
upscale,high price, high quality area. After selling at market prices until
mid June two vendors created problems, both using "cut throat practices".
One selling everything at $1 a pound. Their excuse: l need to get rid of
this ----. And I can't go up on my price because the customers expect the
price I set. Each vendor was notified daily at the market opening as to the
local grocery store prices and what the general consensus of prices for the
day would be with the other vendors.

The results: We got a lot of "flea market" types who wanted to barter or
play one vender off against the other. This type would buy two or three
pounds, complain the price was to high or something else would be wrong.
They were never happy. They rarely spent over $5 total in the market, and
took longer to wait on than our regular, upscale customers. Regular
customers would go to the low price venders and thus denying the regulars a
chance to make a reasonable amount of sales for the day.

The two "cut throats" pulled out in mid to late August ( we run through
Thanksgiving). They got the "Goodies" for the summer and ran. One who had a
permanent booth did not even have the courtesy to call and say they would
not be back, and left their tables!! The other did not show for three weeks,
called on a Friday night and said they would not be back.

The "flea market" types quit coming, our sales went up, the remaining
vendors were happier.

We too are looking for a solution for next season.

This email scanned for Viruses and Spam by ZCloud.net