market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market Price Standards

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market Price Standards
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:07:59 -0500

One way to address this is to have a fee that is high enough to discourage people from undercutting. Farmers that are there to make money will not balk at a high fee (as long as the money is used to improve the market and they end up with better and better sales). I feel farmers' market need to be for farmers to make a living. They are not there for the back yard hobbyist so force the hobbyists to need to make money to participate.

At my market $150 a year was enough to curtail hobbyist undercutting. We still get the backyard growers but they are now serious backyard growers who have found that market farming is a business and can generate some decent income.

Lucy goodman

Alex McGregor wrote:
Greetings all,

We're having a meeting in 3 weeks to amend the rules for a market we
started in North Georgia last year. Some of the vendors are retired and
selling well below the retail prices in stores because they "don't need to
make any money." This has a negative effect on farmers who depend on sales
to make a living.

I know this is a common problem at markets. Have any of you out there
addressed this with rules or pricing structures? I would appreciate any
info so I can take a number of possible solutions to the members/vendors to
consider.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm